The Board of Health is charged with the responsibility of protecting the public from food borne illnesses through a sound public health food protection program. This is accomplished through licensure, inspection and enforcement of compliance of retail food and food service establishments.
In Massachusetts, the regulation applicable for food service and retail food establishments is part of the State Sanitary Code (105 CMR 590.000). The State Sanitary Code delegates to boards of health the authority to enforce 105 CMR 590: Minimum Sanitation Standards for Food Establishments: Chapter X. Each Board of Health has the responsibility to:
- License, inspect and monitor sanitation practices in retail and food establishments, (590.052, 590.053).
- Investigate reports of suspected food borne illnesses and food related complaints, (590.051).
- Provide education and training to licenses and food managers regarding proper food handling procedures, food sanitation measures, public health issues, and regulatory standards.
- Respond to consumer inquiries regarding food sanitation practices and standards, complaints and public health issues.
- Enforce anti-choking procedures in food service establishments (590.001(C), Section 305D).
- License manufacturers of frozen desserts, milk pasteurization plants, bottled water and non-alcoholic beverages (561.000, 570.000, 541.000).
In addition to the above, the Board of Health has adopted the following local regulations:
- Smoking Regulations
- Mandatory Food Handlers Training
Enforcing these regulations through routine inspections, administrative actions, food handler training and immediate investigation of complaints is necessary to ensure public health protection from food borne diseases and injuries.
|Food Service Establishment $125 to $325 ( BOH Fee schedule)||Pasteurization Plant $125.00|
|Frozen Desserts $60.00||Bottling Plant $75.00|
|Catering Establishment $50.00||Temporary Food Service $60.00|
|Retail Market $125.00||Bakeries $50.00|
|Catering (function) $50.00||Mobile Food $100.00|