Register to Vote

Q: How do I register?

A: Voter registration in Haverhill has never been easier than it is today. You may visit the City Clerk's office in Haverhill City Hall and complete a voter registration form in person. Or, you may obtain a mail-in voter registration form from the City Clerk's Office. Mail-in forms also may be obtained by calling the State Elections Division at (800) 462-VOTE, or online at their web site. In addition, the state registries of motor vehicles, social service agencies and military recruitment offices provide voter registration services.

Q: Who may register?

A: Any person who is a Massachusetts resident, a United States citizen and will be eighteen years old as of the next election, is eligible to register to vote. When you sign the registration form, you must attest, under the pains and penalties of perjury, that you are legally eligible to register and that the information you provide is accurate and truthful. The penalty for fraudulent registration increased recently to a fine of ten thousand dollars or imprisonment for up to five years, or both. You will remain on the list of voters if you complete and return the annual municipal census. If you move to another city or town, you must re-register in your new community.

Q: What are the absentee voting requirements?

A: You may vote absentee if you are a registered voter and you will be unable to vote at the polls because you will be out of town during the hours the polls are open, because you have a physical disability or because of religious beliefs.

Q: How do I obtain an application for an absentee ballot?

A: Applications for absentee ballots may be obtained from the City Clerk or the Office of the Secretary of State. Downloadable Absentee Ballot applications are now available online at the State Elections Division Web Site. Applications may be submitted in person or by mail. Absentee voter applications cannot be accepted after noon the day before the election.

Q: How do I return the application for an absentee ballot?

A: Applications for absentee ballots must be received by the City Clerk before 12:00 noon the day before an election. Absentee ballots generally are available three weeks before an election. Applications may be mailed or hand-delivered to the City Clerk's office. You may request the official absentee ballot application form or you may use any form of written communication: a letter or postcard. Include your name, your address where you are listed as a registered voter, the precise address to which you want the ballot sent and your signature. For primary election, you must indicate your choice of Party Ballot if you are registered as an unenrolled voter. Absentee voter applications cannot be accepted after noon the day before the election.

Q: What should permanently disabled voters do?

A: If a voter submits a note from a registered physician indicating that he/she is disabled permanently, the City Clerk will send an application for an absentee ballot twenty-eight days before the first election each year. The voter in most cases only will have to sign the application, return it, and indicate that the voter would like an absentee ballot for every election in that year. Upon the City Clerk's receipt of the signed application, the voter will be sent an absentee ballot.

Q: How do I return the ballot?

A: Ballots may be returned by mail or in person by the voter or a family member. All ballots must be signed by the voter, or if the voter is unable to sign, an assisting person.

Q: Can I request to vote by mail?

A: A ballot will be sent to any address that you specify. Be sure to apply early because the ballots must be sent by mail. The ballot may be returned by mail or hand delivered to the City Clerk's Office. It must be received by 6:00 p.m. on election day.